Re: [NTLK] Multiple format etext sources; pages for Newton ebook- and raw etext-libraries at the Wiki (was Re: NewtonBook creation)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 10:11:44 PDT

>or we could assign 3 people to one site to go thru each subject and make
maybe 5-10 books each
>and add them to unna. within a years time our library could be immense.
every subject touched, any
>author at our green fingertips. it makes more sense to make it a group
effort rather than everyone
>trying to make books on their own or just not doing it at all, but
wanting a book made just the same.
>good idea everyone?

In theory, I'd say yes. But I'm already behind reviewing some other stuff,
got the tax office on my back besides other commitments that I need to get
tackled first - and I got no Newt anymore, so right now I'd fall behind any
pledged volunteer labor.

Also since my crazy Christmas book drive, I'd not seen a single new public
domain book announced here, and not much uploaded to UNNA. I've done that
silly stunt to show it's easy to pour out one book per day for nearly two
weeks with just a little will and time (some still going stale in the queue
at UNNA, if you want any, check the sig below.), basically the same idea
you have: To inspire everybody to create ebooks, like maybe one per month,
to serve the community and give something back.
    Should be an understood thing, shouldn't it - if you cull, you pull.
You cull some tasty knowledge and advice off the community, you pull some
weight, too - e.g. by giving it something new to read. Any girl and boy can
do this. Heck - that's something *ANY* newbie can - I know this fer shore,
'coz *AH DID*! Needs nearly no brains, or at least not much. Doesn't even
need a Newton, to be honest; I created my first Newton books last year even
before I *HAD* my MP 130.

I'm all for a concerted, coordinated effort to collectively get the numbers
of freely distributeable books up by significant numbers and would like to
strongly encourage and support such an effort, in the hope to get hold of a
Newton again within a couple of weeks (or get mine repaired - paging Frank
G. ... ;=} ) and profit from any such activities myself. It's just I won't
be able to contribute much sweat equity for the time being.

Anyhow, what such a coordinated effort would need would be a website/medium
outside of NTLK where the titles could be divided up and you could
coordinate hitting one book site after another, and a DIY publication
medium, like the new UNNA but significantly faster in release speed.

Don't know if above mumblings any useful or even coherent, sorry, I'm a bit
in a hurry right now.

DJV.

P.S.: Least thing anybody can do is contribute Newton Libraries and Etext
Sources to the Wiki. Git to it, honeys!

The Original DJ Vollkasko's(TM) Newton eBook Editions

*** Get it here or from an www.UNNA.org near you! ***

Adorno, Theodor W. - On Popular Music (1941)

Debord, Guy - Introduction to a Critique of Urban Geography (1955),
English/German

New! Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - Adventures of Etienne (1903) (Etienne Gerard)
New! Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - Exploits of Brigadier Gerard (Etienne Gerard)
New! Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Final Problem (S. Holmes feat. Moriarty)
New! Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Valley of Fear (S. Holmes, Moriarty
mentioned)
New! Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - When the World Screamed (1929) (feat.
Prof.Challenger)

Dunsany, Lord - 51 Tales (1915)
Dunsany, Lord - Book of Wonders
Dunsany, Lord - The Emperor's Crystal

New! Haggard, Henry Rider (1856-1925) - A Tale of Three Lions

Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - Rogues in the House (Conan the Cimmerian
goes Newton!)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - Shadows in Zamboula (1935, Conan again)
New! Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - The Devil in Iron (1934, Conan yet again)
New! Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - The Tower of Elephant (...and still
more Conan!)

Knigge, Adolph Freiherr von - Über den Umgang mit Menschen (1788)

Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - Herbert West, Reanimator (1921-1922)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - Pickman's Model (1926)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Call of Cthulhu (1926)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Cats of Ulthar (1920)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Picture in the House (1919)

New! Vague, Tom _ Boy Scout's Guide to the Situationist International: The
Effect The S.I. Had On Paris '68 And All That, Through The Angry Brigade
And King Mob To The Sex Pistols

New! Whibley, Charles - A Book of Scoundrels

New! Wilde, Oscar - The Picture of Dorian Gray

*** "Don't ask what your Newton can do for you -
ask what you can do for your Newton!" - J.F. Newtennedy ***