Re: [NTLK] 2 slot PCMCIA eMate

From: Tyler Smith (spam_at_fenestrated.net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 07:45:15 PDT

>I'm a bit confused.... I thought the eMate PC card slot was a type III?
>Doesn't a type III mean it is actually two type IIs stacked? I thought
>a type II slot could hold two type II cards? How did I get to be so
>wrong on this? My PB 1400 can handle two type II cards or one type III.
>I thought that was normal...
>I wonder how I goofed...

More to add to what Victor said...

There are very few PCMCIA Type III cards in the world (the only ones
I've seen don't actually use the space for anything interesting,
they're just "dongleless" ethernet cards), so most intelligent laptop
companies give their customers "type 3" compatibility by giving them
two Type II slots "one on top of the other" so that you CAN use a
Type III card-but it takes up both slots.

The eMate has a REAL Type III slot-only one connector, but it will
take any PCMCIA card, even a really thick one. Methinks this is
because Apple had been planning on "Two Stacked Type II slots" but
backed off on the electronics to wire the second slot at the last
minute.

Tyler