Re: [NTLK] Another Auction 800$ 2100mp

From: Len Cole (leonard.cole_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 06:39:10 PDT

Although I agree with you, There are those who take the opposing attitude.

Years ago Kapp & Petersons produced a limited series "Mark Twain" commemorative briar pipe made from the original forms and guides. There were two grades - a silver-banded edition of which 1500 were produced and a gold-banded edition of which 150 were made. Naturally, there was a price differential of 400 percent.

I had the chance to purchase one of these pipes of either grade, but whereas I could justify spending $150 US on a silver-banded one which I would smoke, I just couldn't justify to myself $600 on a gold-banded one which I would only keep on display or in a box. At the time, I certainly could have afforded the more expensive pipe, but I "economically" chose the less expensive model.

I don't regret my choice because it was and still is a nice-looking, easy smoking briar. But on the same token, I kinda wish I had bought one with the gold band because of its inherent collector's value.