Re: [NTLK] "Minor" publication setback :O( {Owner's Manual Conversion Project}

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 15:37:54 PDT

* Peter H. Coffin <hellsop_at_ninehells.com> [12 Apr 2004 13:05]:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 03:34:25PM -0400, MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:
> > Well, I attempted to run a test conversion the other day (final
> > process for creating books in NewtonPress). Unfortunately, the
> > application kept crashing. It appears there is a limit as to how
> > large of a file the NewtonPress can "digest".

Not sure if you've already done this, but you can increase the amount of
memory an app is allowed to use (uh, at least on the mac, not sure about
windows, and not sure which you're using).

> > I was trying to turn a 5 meg NP! file into a NewtonBook pkg. I'm
> > glad that I found out before I added all of the images to the book!
>
> Don't forget that there is an issue of the unicode text engine in the
> newton. A 5-meg ascii file will become a 10-meg package (more or
> less).

But I also heard that the newt's compression will compress it back down
to "about the size on your desktop"

> I'm astonished that the input file is that big, though. Given the
> amount of text that's on an average page, 1 meg would normally hold
> hundreds of normal pages of text. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is 225k
> in plain text, and 227k in HTML.

I'm betting that's due to RTF... it can be much bigger than plain text,
depending on how much formatting you give it.

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project