Re: [NTLK] Reasonable priced 54 Mbps router

From: Camillus Guhl (cam_at_guhl.net)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 03:11:53 PDT

> Are these units doing appletalk over IP or do they actually do
> traditional appletalk ? Eg can you print to a appletalk printer over
> the wireless segment instead of having to print via IP ?

Hi Peter,

I have a HP Laserjet 5P connected to a localtalk (yes!) network that is
bridged to my ethernet LAN using a Microlink TCP/IP bridge. I can print
to the laserjet with my iBook or Newton wirelessly without any problems.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Cam
http://www.newtonsearch.net/

ps:

FAQ on buffalotech.com:

"Are the AirStation 54Mbps products compatible with Apple Macintosh
Computers?

A Yes. On 6-19-2003, Apple released Airport Software version 3.1 for OS
10.2.6.

This update provided support for third-party 54Mbps 802.11g client
adapters using the Broadcom chipset.

Buffalo U.S.A. provides support for our AirStation 54Mbps Notebook
Adapter (WLI-CB-G54A) and AirStation 54Mbps Desktop PCI Adapter (WLI-
PCI-G54) with this update.
Appletalk is supported.

The AirStation 54Mbps Notebook Adapter (WLI-CB-G54A) is compatible with
Apple Powerbooks with an available CardBus slot.

The AirStation 54Mbps Desktop PCI Adapter (WLI-PCI-G54) is compatible
with Apple G3 or G4 Tower computers with an available PCI slot.

The AirStation 54Mbps Wireless Router (WBR-G54) and AirStation 54Mbps
Wireless Bridge (WLA-G54) are configured via a web browser and are
supported with Macintosh as well.

OS 10.2.6 is required. iBooks and iMacs are not supported.
The AirStation 54Mbps CardBus Card (WLI-CB-G54) is not supported."