[NTLK] Need to make some space in the "tech" closet...

From: Chris Bonthron (c_bonthron_at_yahoo.ca)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 20:28:41 PDT

After the birth of our second child in February my wife now wants to
convert my "tech" closet in the nursery into HIS closet! The nerve of
her! (c;

Bear with me here...

Being a Mac user since 1985, I wanted a Newton as soon as I heard of
them back in 1993, but alas I could never justify the price. Then in
1999 I found eBay and I was able to purchase my first Newton (a beat up
old MP110) for about $30. This is what started my 'connection' to the
Newton. I subsequently sold it and bought a 130, sold it and bought a
2000, after that an upgraded 2000. I acquired bits and pieces for my
UMP2000 and bought and registered software where I could. I had a EB
leather case, a modem, an ethernet card, I had memory cards, I had the
perfect Newt.

Then in March of 2001 Palm was rumoured to be coming out with the Palm
M505. I thought this was what I needed and I bought one when it was
released. Before this I also had a Palm Pilot Pro, a Palm III, a Palm
IIIx, the M505 and now a Tungsten T3. So I sold my UMP2000 (and
everything else) to Woo Lee who is also here on NewtonTalk. <sigh>

Fast forward to 2004...

Somewhere during my daily scan of Apple news and rumours (part of my
job), I run into a story about the Newton and I start reminiscing about
my long gone UMP2000. I remember Woo said I could always buy back my MP
if I ever suffered 'sellers remorse' but I couldn't really take him up
on that after 3 years. So I start searching eBay, and the newsgroups
and back here to NewtonTalk, for the perfect Newton. I come across a
picture on the internet of Woo's colection of Newts (Newtons around the
World???) and realize that one of those was most likely mine. <big
sigh>

I had to find what I NEEDED... make a collection and leave it at that.

So far I've acquired in the last 30 days, two OMPs, two 110s, a 130 (I
see no need for a 120), a MP 2000 and I bought a functional 'stripped'
MP2100 from J+R this past weekend so I can upgrade my MP2000 to a
2100... to get me back to my original UMP2000. I'm a happy camper
now... err, sort of... at least I will be when I can introduce an eMate
into the collection.

Obviously in the past 30 days, in my zeal to acquire all things Newt,
I've picked up a few more things my wife wants me to get rid of. Most
of these things are bits that I figured most of you would already have
so I put them on eBay. They're all at a pretty low starting price so if
anyone is interested in them they can be had at a good price:

Newton MessagePad OMP Package with CigPack Modem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3091647337ewton MessagePad 110 (stripped)

Newton MessagePad 110 (stripped)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3091647981ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3091649175

Newton Print Pack Cable
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3091649175ewton MessagePad Fax Modem (Cig Pack)

Newton MessagePad Fax Modem (Cig Pack)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3091648588oast. They will have at leat Mac OS 9.1 installed when sold.

A few bits of the better Apple stuff I thought I'd offer here before
putting them on eBay. Please contact me if any of these interest you.
The list starts with:

2 - Apple G3 PowerBooks PDQ's (they're 233MHz Wallstreets with 14.1"
screens but with the improved 512kb backside cache – perfect for Newton
serial connections). They include AC adapters but the batteries are
toast. They will have at leat Mac OS 9.1 installed when sold.

1 - Apple G3 PowerBook 400 MHz (Pismo) with a new battery and a floppy
drive with USB and FireWire. It is also running Mac OS X v10.2.X

1 - Sonnet Tempo ATA133 PCI Card w/ribbon cables (perfect for adding
more drives to a Mac G4 Desktop).

I don't really like posting these here but I thought the PDQ
Wallstreets might benefit some list members.

Whoa! I pecked out a lot more keys than I thought I would there. Thanks
for getting this far.

Chris
c_bonthron_at_yahoo.ca