[NTLK] Problems with getting songs into "Mad Max" (MP3-to-pkg conversions)

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 12:26:38 PDT

Hello Everyone:

Well, after two years of Newton ownership, I finally managed to get a couple
of songs to play back on my MP 2100. However, I only managed to get a handful
of songs to work (These are MP3 files that I created from recording FM radio
through my computer with a Lead-Tek TV/FM card). Many songs I've attempted to
import never become "playable" in Mad Max.

Can anybody help me figure this out? I tried reducing the file sizes,
recorded in mono, etc, but none of this seems to guarantee a recognizable song on
the Newton. Why do some songs work while others do not?

Note: I loaded the Mad Max player, the Codec.pkg, and the NHttpLib.pkg files
onto my MP 2100. To convert songs, I drag MP3 song icons into the "window" of
the "NewtMP3Conv.exe" program. By the way, this procedure OFTEN CAUSES MY PC
TO CRASH! And yes, I have a sh-tload of memory on my desktop machine.

Question 1: would it help if I reloaded the Mad Max et al programs between
each song installation? Is the problem with the MP3 to PKG converter software
(This seems likely, given the consistent system crashing).

Question 2: Since I do not have an ethernet connection to my PC, can I post
my MP3s on Yahoo or some other public site and then re-download them through
Newtscape to my MP 2100? Seems a ridiculous route to go, but I want music on my
Newt, dammit.

Thanks in advance.

Matt K.