Re: [NTLK] [OT] Virus attacks on NTLK/Newton-related mailaccounts

From: David Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 16:56:42 PDT

On Apr 17, 2004, at 12:20 PM, Joel M. Sciamma wrote:

> David,
>
> Should I ever move to Mac OS X, I will certainly look afresh at virus
> issues.

As you should but the funny thing is that Mac OS X currently has less
viruses available for it than Classic Mac OS does.

> Anti-virus software is a pain in the proverbials on Mac OS 9 and has
> caused
> me a lot of conflicts and inconveniences in the past. On balance I
> prefer to
> be cautious about whet gets into my machine in the first place than
> have an
> anti-virus program destabilise my machines. It has worked for the last
> 20
> years so I'll just keep being vigilant.

Its equally horse on Windows which is a bit sad since they certainly
have more practice refining that type of software.

> The only MS software I possess is Outlook Express 5.0.6 which has done
> good job for me.
>
>> Apple's market share is number of Macs sold out of the total number of
>> computers sold in a given time. That is different that the installed
>> base. The installed base is how many Macs there are and how many other
>> computers there are. The installed Mac base is around 30 million. Now
>> the Windows installed base is around 300,000 million or something.
>
> Market share is still a critical element in attracting developers and
> standards to your platform. We used to argue that most car
> manufacturers
> would kill for the 10% market share that Apple used to have. Now it's
> down
> to 2.5% and one wonders what is considered viable - 1%? 0.1%? We have
> seen
> the inability of QuickTime to make any impression due to this.

Market share is important in attracting developers, agreed, but we are
not talking about developers we are talking about viruses and worms,
people writing viruses and worms look for possible targets, not growth
sectors.

I have a lot to say about the other things you noted in your e-mail but
since it takes us further off topic I figured I would stop here.

David