Re: [NTLK] [OT] Quicktime

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 17:14:46 PDT

On Sunday, April 18, 2004, at 01:37 PM, Joel M. Sciamma wrote:
>> BTW, I'm puzzled by your statement regarding QuickTime, which besides
>> being universal on the Mac side, has significant penetration on the
>> Windows side.
>
> The fact that it's universal on the Mac means nothing, it's merely the
> native format for that platform.
It's certainly not "the native format for mac". It is a complete cross
platform development and delivery platform.
> Having being developed on the Mac, for the
> Mac by Apple and bundled free with every machine, it would a titanic
> cock-up
> if were not universal.
Actually there is no such thing as universal.
> The significant penetration of QT that you mention has not stopped the
> BBC
> from dropping its initial QT support in favour of Real long ago.
So? How is this meaningful?

> No one I know who uses Windows also uses QT, most don't even know what
> it
> is.
This is wrong I am sure. Many windows users use Quicktime. They may
not know it, but they do. There is a lot of content on the web in
Quicktime format, like movie trailer and other video (ads for example).
> One that does thought it was a virus that was preventing his machine
> from booting. (Must do the QA a bit better there...)
Guess he needs some help then.

> QT might hitch a ride on another service or product but no Windows
> user is
> going to deliberately use QT instead of other, native media systems are
> they?
Quicktime is as native on the PC as anything else.

> QT is lovely software with great potential but currently a bit tame
> outside
> the Mac. I was at the Apple developer briefings where QT was looking
> like a
> new OS all by itself such are its powers, but has it had any real
> impact
> outside the Mac to this point?
HP bundles it on ALL of it's current consumer PC's.

> Can you give me a substantive non-Mac example of the use of QT?
iTunes for one. Also, many movie trailers are initially released as
Quicktime only.

Also it's rapidly being adopted by many of the largest cell phone
vendors as a multimedia delivery system.

Marty