Re: [NTLK] Escale A connection error has Occurred (28009)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 01:46:41 PDT

Aux environs du 19/04/04 à 10:26 +0200, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
Escale A connection error has Occurred (280", Robert Benschop prit
sa plus belle plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>On 19-apr-04, at 10:12, Paul Guyot wrote:
>> The finite state machine for the communication with the Newton is
>> finished but it is not totally tested.
>
>Sounds very impressive! In case you need testers please let us know.
>(though you know I'm worthless as a tester because I hardly ever have
>problems ;-)

We really do.
We need user interface-level test suites.

For example, here is a test case that currently fails.

1- Choose a network configuration with TCP/IP active
2- Start Escale.
3> Escale should say "Waiting for a connection" and the TCP/IP icon
should go black.
4- change the network configuration to an offline configuration with
no active port. Click apply.
5> Escale TCP/IP icon's should go grey and it should go to "No active
interface" state unless you have a serial adapter plugged in.
6- change the location back to one with TCP/IP.
7> Escale should say "Waiting for a connection" and the TCP/IP icon
should go black.
8- quit Escale

This test fails on step 5, Escale crashes. At some point, it did
crash after step 8. We'll fix this. But without a list of test cases
with this test, we won't check before any release that this test
passes.

This is why we need test cases.

To make one, just use Escale, do simple things (like installing one
packet, two packet) and describe what you do precisely and what
Escale does precisely (or what it should do). By precision, I mean
specifying if do you install the package by dropping it on Escale's
Icon, on Escale's window, by choosing Install package from the button
bar, from the menu or by choosing Install package from the Newton.

You can do the same with other DCL applications (Delivery will soon
be added back to nightly builds).

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/