Re: [NTLK] [OT] Market Share

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 03:58:22 PDT

Eric,

> QT is a cross-platform media format that serves as the basis of an
> adopted standard (MPEG4)

As I mentioned in my reply to Martin, QT has evolved from the Mac to being
more generally deployable. MPEG4 is indeed part of QT but its adoption as
the standard is already under threat from new codecs and formats before it
really gets going.

> You're phrasing your question as if QT is an
> application, so I don't think I understand what you're driving at.

The visible manifestation of QT is the various players and widgets that make
it plain that you are using QT - the more potentially interesting areas are
where QT is invisibly at work streaming audio/video etc.

I can only go by the people I meet and what I see with my own eyes - QT or
the Mac has made no impact whatever on this group. Perhaps they are unusual
in some way, I don't know.

Of all my friends and acquaintances, only 2 use a Mac and some original Mac
users have switched entirely to Windows so as to have the necessary skills
in the workplace. None regret their decision. None have switched to the Mac
from anything else and are amused that I tried to persuade them. Even an
ex-Apple employee now views Macs as being quaint, nice tools but of no
relevance in the greater scheme of things.

So all I can say is that in the last 5 years of visting customers and other
businesses in the UK, I see no Macs and no QT. A printer I went to recently
to have a large drawing reproduced was startled to hear I was using a Mac -
"You're still not using those things are you mate? I got rid of them years
ago..."

Regards,

Joel.