Re: [NTLK] Newton Book or Newton Paperback, which is better

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 12:16:43 PDT

>I also want to provide formats for reading the texts on a Newton. There
>seem to be two formats to choose from, Newton Book and Newton
>Paperback. In times past, before I had a hardware failure, I provided
>access to Newton Paperbacks. Since then two things have happened.
>First, I now actually own a Newton (just purchased last week, a Newton
>MP2000) so I can actually see what things look like. Second, things
>like Newton Book Maker and Newton Press are now freely available so I
>can now create books in Newton Book format.
>
>So, from a user's point of view which format is better? After quickie
>experimentation it seems that Newton Books provide the means for
>greater formatting, navigation, and the addition of graphics. Newton
>Paperbacks do not. On the other hand, Newton Paperbacks fill the screen
>of my MP200 with the bigger screen, but the Newton Books seem to be
>confined to a small reading window.
>
>If I were to create one flavor of ebook format to read on a Newton,
>then what flavor would you pick? Newton Book or Newton Paperback?

Well first off you can easly make sizes that will use the entire screen in
NewtonBook with press. However, you have to make one book for each size.
In bookmaker you can create "multiformat" books with various sizes adding
about 100k per extra screen size format to the books overall size. I am
working on a how-to for making Newton Books, with benifits and pitfalls of
the two programs. And how best to format text for creating Newton Books
easly. It will be released in a week or so. So stay tuned as they say.

-Dan