[NTLK] Success! {MP3-to-PKG file conversions}

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 15:30:24 PDT

Hello everyone:

I finally got the MP3-to-PKG file converter working to some degree. It still
causes my machine to crash occasionally during the file conversion process,
but once I reboot, the converted files are sitting there, waiting for me to
load them onto the Newton. Very strange software.

I have found that my "homemade" MP3 files that I recorded off of the radio
(through Lead-Tek's TV/FM card) do not work very often (actually, one in seven
conversions from my "radio MP3s" seems to work). However, if I record MP3
files from my CD collection, the resulting file will (nine times out of ten)
convert to a workable version for the Newton. Seems like it should work 100% of
the time, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Oh well. Better than nothing.

For anyone else attempting to rip MP3s for use on their Newton, I suggest
reducing the bit rate for the recording. This will result in a smaller file. :O)

Matt K.