Re: [NTLK] [OT] High power desktops

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 23:16:36 PDT

On Apr 19, 2004, at 11:49 PM, Doug Augustyn wrote:

> They are nice (I'm the mac admin at my school...) but I wouldn't
> classify them
> with higher-end boxes like alpha's. They have some serious power, but
> the OS
> is still 32-bit. (the stupid teacher won't let me put gentoo on it...)

Solaris was 32 bit until about version 7 and retained 32 bit libraries
for a long time
VMS was 32 bit until VMS .... 5 or so if I recall
64 bits does not define "power"
99% of users will never know or care if the OS is 64 bit.
Most server apps will barely notice or care. At most they'll get a
recompile.

Virtual memory makes 32 bitness a non-issue as each app can claim the
entire 32 bit address space as though it was it's own.
4Gb of virtual space is a lot. And with what Apple has done in 10.3
that limit is even higher

A database server might work better as it could cache more.
But having done this switch from 32 to 64 bit on other platforms it's
hard to believe that 64 bit code will make as much as a difference as a
well tuned overall system architecture and overall throughput of
subsystems.

The line between "workstation" and "desktop" is long gone.

A G5 certainly falls in the realm of high power desktop from my
perspective.

Course that's only based on it beating the crap out of a "server" (Sun
E3500 with 8Gb RAM and 4 CPU's) running a database server (Sybase 12.5)

> At this point in time, the G5 is _not_ a "High power desktop," just a
> "Power
> User Desktop." When Apple releases 64-Bit OS X (When is the next blue
> moon?)
> I'll refute that argument.

What WOULD fit in this category for you ?