Re: [NTLK] Jobs: 'Computers have keyboards' - iPod: 'Nyaa nyaa'

From: Rod (lavo_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 01:12:38 PDT

Just a side note on this thread, someone earlier disagreed with the comment
that the Newton was a cross between a PDA and a laptop.

I just received my mint 2000 upgrade today, with all the manuals, boxes etc.
On the front of the box Apple describe the 2000 as a "Powerful Handheld
Computer". On the back, there are a number of references comparing it to a
laptop - "Unlike laptop computers, the MessagePad 2000 starts up right
away", "More convenient and compact than a laptop". The best one was
"Unlike personal organizers, this handheld computer lets you install new
business productivity applications and communication peripherals using its
two PC card slots".

Even Apple at that point didn't refer to it as a PDA :-) All nigglies
aside, does anyone of the Newton historians on the list know when Apple
changed its marketing from a Digital Assistant to a handheld computer? (I
believe, in marketing terms, there is a distinct difference between the two)

And I'm not bagging the Newton, I just want to know more of the truth from
those who bought it when it was brand new!

Seeya

Rod!