Re: [NTLK] Quote of the day

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 09:37:58 PDT

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:01:03AM +0100, Richard Kilpatrick wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2004, at 02:01, Sushi wrote:
>
> > I have a G4/933 running SETI as a screen saver.
> >
> > It does 1 WU in about 9 hours.
>
> Is that a Unit? It's not an accurate test, because you get different
> loads per unit.

For one single unit, sure. Noting that you got 82 done in March makes it
a quite good test.

> However, 9 hours seems like a hell of a long time.

"Running as a screen saver" means it's got all the pretty
graphics-drawing sucking up 65% of the cycles spent on it.

> I now can't remember what timescale it was to process what I'd taken
> as being a unit, but I know that my G5 system (running a SETI which
> I'm told isn't actually capable of threading, so only one CPU) was 4x
> faster than my 733MHz G4...

Different chips, different caching schemes, and I bet the load of other
stuff running wasn't the same either.

> I'll have to dig the article out. Maybe it was 13 hours for the 733,
> and the G5 did 4 units in 13 hours, but I didn't think I'd leave my
> machines alone long enough for that.

So don't grump about Sushi's methodology until you're interested enough
to test better.

--
17. When I employ people as advisors, I will occasionally listen to their
    advice.