Re: [NTLK] Re serial adaptor in classic and X

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 14:36:48 PDT

Aux environs du 20/04/04 à 17:25 -0400, sous le titre "[NTLK] Re
serial adaptor in classic and X", Robert Wright prit sa plus belle
plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>I have the drivers for the keyspan adaptor installed in 10.3.3 and in my
>classic system folder and I can get them both to work, obviously not at the
>same time. Yes I have to unplug and plug in the adaptor to get it
>re-recognized when going from classic to X, but it works. I don't have to
>quit/restart classic either, it chugs or sleeps away in the background until
>I need it for newtourage, and then after plugging in the adaptor, and maybe
>resellecting the port in the newtourage or ncu prefs it works. I can go back
>to newten and a replug and I'm back in X.
>Don't know what keyspan is talking about about not installing both
>drivers...obviously for neophytes.

Same here.

However, I noticed that if you run an OS X application that uses the
serial port while a Classic one is currently using the serial port,
then Classic will very likely crash. That's why I disabled the serial
port in Escale (since, when the adapter is plugged in, it's very
likely that my Newton connected via the serial adapter to Hammer and
I don't want to crash both Hammer and the Newton).

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/