Re: [NTLK] Power Surge/Apple Repair

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 16:35:29 PDT

> I plugged in my Newton 2100 to charge it and I heard a
> lovely pop with the smell of an electrical burn coming
> from my Newton along with some acrid black smoke - ugh.

Did you have power-hungry PCMCIA cards (WLAN, Ethernet,
modem, ...) installed at the time? Was something connected
to the Interconnect port? If yes, please specify.

> Does anyone know if Apple still services these little
> bad boys - I'm in the States.

I doubt it.

> Or do I have another alternative.

For US citizens it might be a good idea to get in touch
with Dr. Newton because he is in the US, too. You will find
him here: http://www.maplenet.net/~dwatson/

I am very interested in boards like that, too. I have recently
had a look at a board from a fellow list member which (the board,
not the fellow list member...) died the
same way you describe. Although I was unable to fix it 100%,
I was able to drag it back to life at least enough to make a
full backup. I am interested in similar boards because I would
like to verify if there is some kind of pattern that leads to
their death. If you decide you won't have it fixed and want to
donate it to science, I'd gladly pay for shipping.
I could try to fix your Newton by replacing the board, too, but
considering the prices I've recently heard about this would
probably not be a good idea because the shipping cost would
exceed the eBay price....

Regards

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de