Re: [NTLK] Purchases in Germany

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 23:49:14 PDT

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:30:57AM +0200, Johannes Wolf wrote:
> To overcome that problem you mentioned with credit cards: - there is PayPal.
> My experience with PayPal is good.
> Recently they opened a subsidiary in GB and thus it is even easier for the
> Europeans to use PayPal, because now we can use the EURO for PayPal as well.

Paypal is actually not very safe for sellers of tangible goods or of
goods with substantial intrinsic value. Paypal's usual method of
resolving a dispute is to yank funds back from the seller's account,
including withdrawing funds from the seller's bank account, for a
disputed transaction. In the case of claims that goods never arrived, a
courier's proof of delivery will usually get the seller's money back in
4-6 weeks, but for goods "not as described", the seller gets a black
mark on the account, is out the money, and depends on the goodwill of
the buyer to send the "inadquate" merchandise back. If it never comes
back, the seller eats the loss.

--
"25 grams of wafers and 20 ml of wine undergo transubstantiation and
 become the flesh and blood of our Lord. How many Joules of heat are