Re: [NTLK] Newt mention on macrumors.com

From: Eric Schneck (eschneck_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 08:26:40 PDT

>From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
>Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 00:50:23 PDT

>>The patent summary notes that the rotation feature would be
>>"especially advantageous for pen-based and hand-held computers".

>I remember the rotation-thread sometime within the last 6 months or so,
>when screen rotation finally became available to PDAs outside the Newton
>platform (which had it since when exactly?), and how much this was
>celebrated by the manufacturer

I would need to look up the timing of these events.

I had a Compaq Concerto tablet, with Windows 3.1, that had screen rotation.
(the rotation worked really well because the tablet had no buttons on it)

I *think* I bought it before my MP100, but certainly before Newton OS 2 came out.

Also, I seem to recall that the Palms had rotation from early on -- that was why the icons on the buttons were angled instead of horizontal or vertical.

Eric