Re: [NTLK] Newton Book or Newton Paperback, which is better

From: Luiz Petroni (lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 11:41:02 PDT

Nicolas and other from DCL team,

Is it possible at this time to turn the DCL project to a (as you named)
"closed/shareware" state?

If so, how much would a single licence cost so that the DCL team would
be able to support their programming efforts in order to publish a
fully functional dumb user version of the connection utilities (what I
mean here is something with the GUI and as easy to use as NCU)?

If this shareware fee is fair (i.e. can support your
programming/support efforts) and is set at reasonable range I belive
that there are a lot of MacOSX users (AMOF, I believe all of them) that
would pay for a software that would give them the same features,
reliability and easy of use as NCU.

I believe that the community see a really great effort being made from
the DCL team and also the great potential this connection libraries
have but, whenever I read a post from any of you trying to technnically
explain the process or how to use what is already functional I really
don't see how we can effectively help. It seems to be way ahead the
general Newton user. Maybe I'm wrong but this is how I feel.

Recently a lot of members helped another NTKLer (sorry I don't remember
his name) to get all the necessary stuff to continue to his
developments (newton, memory cards, keyboards,...) and if IIRC someone
sent a celular to Eckhard to help in his developments with Blunt. Maybe
some funds could be raised for the DCL project too. Maybe not a
donation but a shareware fee would be a good option because as you
said, if we pay for the DCL we will make your lives a complete misery
until we get the software does what we want it to do! ;)

-lpetroni