Re: [NTLK] Newton Book or Newton Paperback, which is better

From: Eric Morgan (eric_morgan_at_infomotions.com)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 18:27:56 PDT

On Apr 22, 2004, at 4:56 PM, Nicolas Zinovieff wrote:

> We install packages, use the
> keyboard, are able to transform a text to a paperback book (through the
> cmdline, but that would be the easiest thing on earth to do in the GUI)
> and are very close from doing backup/restore...
>
> But what about Delivery (package installer), Escale (NCU replacement),
> NWT->XML (notes converter), PBBookMaker (Paperback newton book
> maker),...
>
> - nothing. You can do nothing? You don't know how to code? You only
> speak Sanskrit? You don't have any idea and you don't want or can't
> donate any time, hardware, software or money? just send a kind note to
> Paul, Michael, or myself.

First, I only joined this list a few days ago, and boy, y'all talk a
lot!

Second, I never thought my question about Newton Books and/or Newton
Paperbacks would take such a turn. I've been doing Internet stuff since
1989 or so and I haven't had so much fun on a mailing list for a long
time.

Third, I am a real advocate of open source software. In fact, I was
just sitting down in my back yard with my wireless connection to write
an essay for a French library journal about open source software when I
read this latest thread. Nicolas Z. is expressing exactly the sentiment
I plan to write about in my essay. As an open source software developer
myself, I appreciate Nicolas's enumeration of the things people can do
to help. I have mentioned myself oftentimes to sets of my fellow
librarians.

Fourth, I plan to make available bunches o' public domain pieces of
literature available in multiple formats through my Catalogue. I hope
to "finish" before this time next year. If the sort of software
described as DCL were freely available and included the features I
needed, then it would make the creation of the Catalogue a whole lot
easier.

Finally, I'm just trying to give back to the 'Net. Unless I'm seriously
mistaken, it seems as if Nicolas Z., Michael V., and Paul G. are
trying to do similar things. Thank you. Sincerely.

--
Eric Lease Morgan