Re: [NTLK] eMate power questions: long!

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 00:36:44 PDT

On 23-apr-04, at 07:08, K. J. Hallenius III wrote:
> My question: did I fry the power circuitry within the eMate? I now
> realize
> that I shouldn't have given the eMate more than 7.5v, but I was
> thinking
> about the 9W power adapter for MP2000 and eMates, forgetting that
> there's
> a difference between Volts and Watts. I didn't hear any "pop" or smell
> smoke, so I hope and pray that there's another explanation:

Possibly, search for 'zener' in the archives. It's on the first link at
the bottom of this message.

> Is it possible that the connectors within the eMate are not making good
> contact, since I had to wiggle it quite a bit to get the green light to
> come on in the first place? I'd like to reach in there with itty-bitty
> tools and create a more secure connection, if this is where the problem
> is. Has anyone else had this experience?

Could be of course.

> I'd really like to create a cradle, a la the MP120 cradle, to put the
> eMate on to charge. I see the two metal connectors on the bottom of the
> unit, and if I could just divine which is positive and which negative,
> then I'd be able to create a non-intrusive dock that would obviate the
> need to fix my internal connector. Has anyone tried this?

There are cradles for the eMate but they're for multiple eMates.
Guess making you're own could be doable but I would be careful about
this, especially because you don't seem that technically inclined ;-)
BTW, I have a Newton adapter lying next to a socket at all times,
plug-and-charge, seems to eliminate the need for a cradle.

Robert Benschop