Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Macintosh, 3rd Parties, and Market Share

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 11:13:35 PDT

> The declining value of DTP to Apple is, quite honestly, shameful. They
> can
> and should absolutely dominate that sector but Mac OS X in its current
> state
> is just not the tool to do it and the reluctance of the DTP market to
> embrace Apple as it once did should send an enormous rocket up the
> backsides
> of the Apple board. If they don't want to end up as makers of bijou
> computers for enthusiasts they had better get their act together.

Unfortunately, I think one of the big problems Apple has these days
with publishing is the stubborn intransigence of Quark; I've heard
horror stories about using new versions of Quark XPress with OS X (so
much so that I opted to buy and learn Adobe's InDesign for my own
publishing business), and I think that could be a big impediment to
more widespread adoption of OS X.

InDesign, though, has become more and more powerful and flexible with
each new release, and I'm hopeful it will provide some genuine
competition.

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net