Re: [NTLK] Dead eMate (wrong power adapter used)

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 07:15:08 PDT

> I know the NiMH battery pack inside my eMate is dead -
> I plugged in the unit, (here's the BAD THING: I
> used a multi-volt adapter, giving it 9V @ 300mA),

As others on this list have pointed out, using any adapter
other than the original one means a good chance to turn
your eMate into a paperweight. Especially cheap unregulated
adapters will normally put out a much higher voltage than
what they are labeled with as long as they don't have to
provide all of the specified current. Which they obviously
won't have to at the moment you plug them in.

If you are lucky, all you have killed is the fuse.
Have a look at this image:

http://www.pda-soft.de/emateDisassembly11large.jpg

It is the component labeled "50" (on the component) and
"F1" (on the mainboard) that lives close to the
battery connector. Referring to the image mentioned above,
it is to the left of the black tape strip.

Get a multimeter and make sure the fuse isn't blown. If it is,
leave it where it is and solder a 1.2A slow-blow fuse across it
temporarily. Do not put the battery pack back in, the mainboard
will start without a battery. Get an original power adapter,
or use yours after you have measured at the (unconnected) plug
of yours that the voltage is between 6 and 7.5 Volt.

Good luck.

If you can't get it fixed, you can send the board my way and
I can have a look at it. Looking, as usual, is free for list
members.

If you can, be aware that the 1.2 A fuse I mentioned above is
just an estimated guess. So far I haven't been able to find the
exact specification for this fuse. If anybody knows, I'd be
thankful for a hint.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de