Re: [NTLK] [ANN] 1984 for Newton

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 19:53:01 PDT

> It was written in 1948 (I understand he chose 84 because it was just
> the
> last two digits transposed). Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a
> copyright
> supposed to only last 50 years? I think I remember reading this as
> one of
> the investment risks to purchasing Disney shares because the IP rights
> on
> characters such as Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck were now exposed.

US Copyright Law has been through a series of revisions that have
extended the terms; I'm not clear on what this would mean specifically
for "1984."

As for the Disney properties, the characters (names, likenesses, and so
on) are protected by Trademark Law, and trademarks can be renewed
indefinitely under certain conditions. Films or books the characters
have appeared in could conceivably be public domain one day when the
copyrights expire (there are two Mickey Mouse shorts that are already
public domain), but ammendments to the US Copyright Law have kept that
from happening.

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net
http://www.redjacketpress.com