Re: [NTLK] So Definately no NCU through AppleTalk in 10.3 then?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 05:50:40 PDT

Aux environs du 26/04/04 à 13:01 +0100, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK] So
Definately no NCU through AppleTalk in 10", Ronan Donohoe prit sa
plus belle plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>So I suppose my real question is whether there is anyone out there with
>a new machine that came with 10.3 and is successfully connecting their
>Newt using NCU in Classic over Ethernet (AppleTalk)?

Let's keep calm, Ronan.

MacOS X ADSP stack is somewhat complex, buggy and unreliable, but we
are glad it's still there. Or maybe not.

Anyway.

I would like to stress on the how it does work before giving you the
magic steps to get it working. MacOS X has two ADSP stacks. The
Classic stack and the native stack, with two different addresses. The
Classic stack used to be fired up through the selector and/or the
AppleTalk control panel but it is now fired up by Classic whenever
the native stack is up.

Like MacOS 9, MacOS X only runs AppleTalk on one interface. It will
display a warning if you want to enable it on a second interface.

MacOS X only starts its native stack when the link it is configured
on (the interface, e.g. Built-in Ethernet) is up. This means that you
need either to have a router or a hub or you need the Newton to
activate its link before it will work. It also applies to wireless
networks.

Additionally, Classic does not always update its ADSP status.
Sometimes, Classic's ADSP stack crashes and you need to restart
Classic to get it working.

Moreover, AppleTalk is not compatible with some routers and there is
very probably an incompatibility between the native AppleTalk stack
in MacOS X and Airport Extreme base stations.

Besides, all this has nothing to do with Directory Services.

Finally, AppleTalk only works over Ethertalk; and AppleTalk servers
take up to 15 or 18 seconds to fire up.

Now, the magic. This is full magic and I'm confident it will work in
most cases. If it doesn't, please provide us with details on your
configuration, in particular, details on how computers are connected
to each other.

- reboot your Newton to make sure the ADSP stack didn't crash.
- insert your Ethernet card.
- configure your Newton to do Ethertalk over your Ethernet card (in
Preferences/AppleTalk).
- open the Dock application on the Newton. Choose AppleTalk.
- select other computer.

This launches the NBLookup Browser, i.e. the Newton now has its link
up and it will look for AppleTalk NCU-compatible servers displaying
the string "Looking for MacOS computers".

- reboot your Mac to make sure that the ADSP stack didn't crash.
- plug the Ethernet cable(s) between your Newton and your Mac if you
haven't done so yet.
- quit Classic
- make sure that AppleTalk is configured on the interface you plugged
your Newton on (or the interface via which your Newton is plugged,
i.e. if your Newton is plugged to a wireless router and your Mac is
connected to this router via Airport, activate AppleTalk on Airport).
- count 18 seconds.
- start NCU. Say yes, you want to start Classic.
- in NCU preferences, check that AppleTalk is active.
- count 18 seconds.

Now, the tricky part.
- look on your Newton. Your mac should have appeared there in the browser.
and quickly:
- select it, close the box, press connect.

Quickly as in you have 5 seconds to do it. You *must* do it before
the Newton shuts its link down, otherwise, if your Mac is connected
directly to your Newton, it will shut its ADSP stacks down.

Reboots are not necessary. Classic restart often is not necessary.
Counting to 18 is too much. But let's be cautious and once you got
it, you may be able to do it very quickly and the day it wouldn't
work, you would try to:
- double check connections
- have a cup of coffee
- restart Classic
- restart your Mac
- restart your Newton
- sacrifice a chicken and practice some voodoo.

in this order.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/