[NTLK] Purchase Recommendations

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 10:29:24 PDT

I thought I'd chime in with my experience in dealing with both GemEnterprises
and J & K Sales. My personal feelings are that Gem gouges people pretty
badly for Newt merchandise. For example, they sell bare bones MP units and then
nickel and dime their customers for each part ("What? You want a battery,
screen lid, stylus, too?"). J & K is slightly less painful, price-wise, to deal
with, but lately their service has left much to be desired:

One of my orders "got lost", and I had to re-order. More recently, I sent a
polite inquiry as to the availability of MP 2x00 display screens. The first
e-mail response from J & K was, "We don't have any." A few days later, a J & K
rep wrote back, saying, "Sorry about the earlier confusion. We have a
variety of Newton screens in a variety of conditions and at several price levels,
depending on quality." I didn't like that they appeared to have a whole
hierachy of pricing for display screens, but I ignored that point for the moment.
Moreover, no prices were given, and I wrote back, saying, "Some prices would be
helpful." A third e-mail from J & K soon followed, "Again, sorry about the
confusion. We don't have any display screens after all."

I don't like the way either of these "companies" operates, but at least they
provide a (less-than-consistent) source of Newtons and parts. I'd rather take
my chances with total strangers on eBay.

Matt K.