Re: [NTLK] Help! Serial connection PC to Newton suddenly dead...

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 11:51:11 PDT

And again you rise to the challenge! Hey, I hope I'll soon be able to get
*something* going all by my self, or you'll hafta help me go to the potty,
too. Those §$%&! Newbies! ;=}

Let's see how this works:

1. Situation as stated before (well, it *mighta* kinda self-healed in the
meantime, right?! ;=} )

2.
>Ok first off go into device manager and check to make sure that your serial
>port has not changed COM port numbers. Windows can assign different numbers
>on the fly, although generally only at bootup. But it can happen if for
>some reason it detects a conflict with say a modem (but this can happen even
>though there is not any real conflict, just a crash of a program can make
>this happen, unusual but it can happen).

Could something like this happen by closing Dock on the Newton before NBU
on the desktop? That *may* have occured yesterday (all those things I had
to check, you know what I'm talking about).

Let's check now... COM1 is there, COM2 is there, both show no conflicts.
COM1 is the mouse, COM2 the serial to Newton.

3.
>Another thing to check is under the device manager, then serial port, then
>port settings tab, check the FIFO buffers. They should be at the lowest
>setting, I find this makes the most reliable connection.

I've set the FIFO buffers all the way down. Rebooting now as requested by
system...
Checking... Nothing.

Observation: COM2 is the only COM-port in NBU's settings-picker. So NBU
knows it's gotty be that port, right?

4.
>And finally try removing the serial port entirely from the device manager.
>Then reboot, it will reinstall and pull another copy of the serial port
>drivers from the driver database. The working copy might have got corrupted
>somehow. If you do remove the serial port, make sure you go in and set your
>FIFO buffers to the lowest setting. Although it should connect at the
>higher settings, at least mine always did. I just find the connection is
>much more stable at the lowerst settings.

Aye, Capt'n Dan! I'm off to delete...

yer ole Bosun that 'Kasko