Re: [NTLK] Quote of the day

From: Paul Nuernberger (newton_at_thenuernbergers.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 23:57:33 PDT

Sorry to be so late to this, but ...

The "Product Numbering" is an attempt to avoid consumer confusion
*within* their product line. When you look at many products (i.e.
certain cars like BMW, or Digital video cameras) the model number lends
to a certain feature set - so this is basically to help the consumer
compare 'apples to apples' (pun intended, as I am writing this from my
Cube) when looking at new systems.

As an example - If you were looking at buying an intel based unit and
were told simply that one had a *3 GHz CPU*, you would not know whether
it was - a.) 400 MHz FSB, b.) 533 MHz FSB, or c.) 800 MHz FSB - or
whether it had a.) 512k L2 cache, or b.) 1M L2 cache.

I cannot speak as freely as I would like (NDA stuff), but within each
basic line of *new* CPU's there will be a product numbering scheme that
will indicate certain major features, starting with the release of the
90 nanometer technology LGA775 socket CPU's.

Its what I do (for a living).

Paul Nuernberger