[NTLK] Connection Help

From: Rowan Pope (xv5080_at_ihug.com.au)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 06:18:16 PDT

Hello!

Just got my first eMate finally. (only other Newt is a MP110)

Having recieved it from eBay, I had to make a US to Australia power
adaptor plug, (as the ones in shops i found didn't work with flat devices
like the newtons PSU, so I simply modified a double adapter :) rebuild the
battery pack, take the unit apart and remove the hinge springs to regrease
them so the lid moves freely and to put a washer around the centre screw
so the spring doesn't ever stand a chance of popping out and slicing the
display cable. (i had heard of this issue, so i thought i'd better nut out
a way around it.)

The crystal mod will wait for later. ;)

Anyway..

Having never connected a newt to a PC and knowing there are connection
issues, is it possible to do it reliably with a modern PC? or do i need an
old mac or old pc?

Using NCU 1.0 (was that the latest/last?) downloaded from the web and an
eMate with err... Newton OS 2.1 i think regardless of the port speed on
the newton, windows device manager, and NCU, if i try 38400 or 2400 or
anything in between, it connects, but any transfer type operation dies
with a connection error -1. (what is it with Apple and minus numeric
error codes?! lol) Have lowered the FIFO buffers all the way.

I'm using a P4 3.2Ghz with a genuine intel motherboard & chipset.
(D875PBZ)

Thanks,

Rowan