Re: [NTLK] MS Word---> NewtWorks? And Word's meta data.

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 09:13:25 PDT

>I need to know whether there is a way to convert an MS Word(or AppleWorks,
>for that matter) document into an editable NewtWorks paper document.
>
>I'd like to use an eMate for music school jury evaluations which are now
>Word docs. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yes but only older versions using NCU (available). Say Word 97 or earlier.
You might be able to advoid that if you export it to RTF then without any
editing import it into the Newton. You should also be able to save to older
formats of Word, however the formatting might change if you use newer tools
than the older format can support.

Personally though I would dump Word and go with something else. The reason
being Word will store hidden data, and it can be anything you were working
on at the time in the file. Data you can't see easily. You might want to
read the links below. Of course when the data is imported to the Newton,
all that junk is left behind. :)

http://securityfocus.com/columnists/234 Down at the last 1/3 of the page it
talks about Word's problems with hidden data. This article also talks about
WHY you should total delete your HD's before you get rid of them (half way
down the page under "crush, kill, destroy". Fdisk and a plain format is not
enough. Especially if you keep any sort of private data on your computer
(bank accounts, tax information etc).
http://www.simson.net/clips/2003.CSO.04.Hard_disk_risk.htm Also talks about
why you should be careful with those old HD's

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3154479.stm Shows why several
governments do not use Word anymore. And real examples of how data was
released that was to remain confidential.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=144e54ed-d43e-42ca-
bc7b-5446d34e5360&displaylang=en
Microsoft talks about the problem and
releases a tool to remove the hidden data from files before you send them
out. However it only works on Windows XP.

-Dan