[NTLK] iApp Synchronization

From: K. J. Hallenius III (iluvatar_at_fusemail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 17:20:40 PDT

I've been reintroducing myself to the various resources available on the
web since I left Newtonia back in early 2001, and I am really impressed
that the community seems to have grown in the last three years!

I've been exploring options for iApp (iCal, Address Book) synchronization,
and I'd appreciate some opinions: My Hardware/OS restrictions are a B&W G3
running OSX 10.2 (Jaguar), with no Classic environment. I have an eMate
300 and a PC Serial/Newton cable. On order is an IOgear USB-Serial PDA
Adapter with the proper PC serial end on it (suggested at the
WikiWikiNewt), so that should take care of the physical connection. I am
blessed that I don't have to worry about TCP/IP issues, since I've seen a
lot of chatter about those lately on the list.

One project that's attractive is Escale, the latest iteration of a Newton
desktop connection tool. I am really excited about the look of the
interface, even if I haven't yet installed it on my own machine (since I'm
waiting for my USB-Serial adapter to arrive). I like the Address Book
synchronization, but since it currently lacks iCal sync, I will probably
only use it as a Package Installer for now. I'd appreciate some comments
on the future of Escale, especially since I see the developers here quite
a bit.

Another project, NewtSync, has a plug-in architecture that is very
attractive. Especially delightful is the JournalSync plugin, that allows
me to keep my Newton Notes synchronized with the excellent freeware
MacJournal program. Does anyone have experience using NewtSync for Address
Book, iCal, and/or MacJournal syncing?

Thanks for the advice, folks.

-Ken