Re: [NTLK] Before I leave, I must dispel a myth

From: Vaguely Radio (vradio_at_maine.rr.com)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 08:51:00 PDT

On Saturday, August 7, 2004, at 09:48 AM, Rick Ludwig wrote:

> I'd have to agree, the Palm did nothing too well except for remain
> simple (that also means it lacked any kind of advanced
> features/capabilities). I also agree with Jon that the cornerstone of
> the Palm empire is the One-press hotsync.

That, and as its name implies, the form factor is much more suitable
for putting in one's pocket. I know we've flogged the "form factor"
argument to death at this point (I've already contributed to one such
conversation), and the basic Newton-user argument is that increased
size means a writing surface much more suitable for writing and
notetaking - and in this I wholeheartedly agree. I do with the fabled
"Newton Jr." had come to fruition because in that case the vast
majority of PDA users would find the Newton they wanted, instead of
settling for a large brick that they must somehow carry around. If you
need a case for your PDA, it's not necessarily much more convenient
than a laptop (okay, I'm being a bit hyperbolic, but only to make my
point).

I love my 2100 to death, and I'd still own it even if there were such a
thing as a "pocket Newton". But I can guarantee you I'd be carrying a
mini Palm-sized Newton with me absolutely everywhere - something I
still can't quite do with my 2100.

-Dan