[NTLK] Dead touchscreen?

From: Indigo Kelleigh (indigo_at_circleweave.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 00:25:12 PDT

Okay, I'll admit I was working around inside my emate today. But I don't
know what I might have done to kill all responsiveness to the touchscreen.
Is there a connection somewhere I might have dislodged?

What I've been trying to do was to replace the battery pack with a tray. I
burned out one motherboard in the process, and had to install a new one. In
doing that, of course I had to open the display to disconnect and reconnect
the backlight. After reassembling the eMate, though, I plugged it in and
made sure that all was well, and was able to tap my way through the
re-configuration process.

So today I tested out the battery pack itself, and after some initial
trouble with that, I decided to open the case up again and make sure that
all was well (and to fix the backlight connection which I hadn't reinstalled
properly in the first place). Now the battery is working fine, but the
touchscreen is not responding at all.

Opening up the case a third time, I noticed that my screen cable was pinched
in the hinge, and knowing that could cause problems, I carefully fixed that.
It's my understanding that that cable only affects the actual display, not
the touchscreen - am I right about that?

I took a look through the service manual, and it mentions a diagnostic
tablet test, but gives no hint at how to go about performing that. Any
ideas?

I'm stumped, and unfortunately I sorted all my packages so now all I can
view are my built-ins. I can't get to my books or anything without being
able to tap.

I'm so close!

-indy

Indigo Kelleigh