Re: [NTLK] Introductions and Cigarette Modems

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 10:17:58 PDT

On Aug 13, 2004, at 6:33 PM, Dan wrote:

> Does anyone know if you can use rechargeable batteries in these modems?
> The instructions says *always* use non rechargeable and that
> rechargeables can damage the modem. I never tried it without as I
> didn't want to take a chance on killing it.

Hm. I guess it helps to actually read the manuals of these things. :-)

Ok. I've read it, and here is exactly what it says: " WARNING Use only
alkaline batteries. Rechargeable NiCad batteries will not work and may
damage the modem."

I know that NiCads have different characteristics than alkaline
batteries, but could they really not work and damage the modem? I've
never tried NiCads, preferring to only ever use Duracells in my Newton
equipment. However, even Duracells never really worked. I wonder, do
newer NiMH batteries have the same problems in this instance as NiCads?
Interesting tidbit. Thanks for keeping me from destroying somebody's
modem. ;-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland