Re: [NTLK] Why Apple Killed The Newton

From: Sean Luke (sean_at_cs.gmu.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 16:40:49 PDT

On Aug 13, 2004, at 3:48 PM, LAG wrote:

> HMMMMMMMM a different angle to look at......what say ye?
>
> Hemant Kamat <hemantkamat_at_eth.net> wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago, I happened to run into a former schoolmate who
> used
> to work with Apple India Ltd. - here's what she had to say
> "...contrary to
> what most people believe (that Steven Jobs killed the Newton as it was
> John
> Sculley's brainchild), the real issue was that it caused the PowerBook
> sales
> to plummet! In the MP 2100, potential powerbook buyers saw a workhorse
> that
> could do just about everything that most users would require, at a
> third of
> the cost and a fraction of the weight..."

IMHO, pure unfiltered nonsense.

The machine had no hard drive, very poor networking, no color, no
keyboard, poor printing support, no memory support for large
applications, limited QuickDraw facilities, no memory protection or (at
the top level) preemptive multitasking, no external media support, and
NO FILE SYSTEM.

Here was the MP2100's Powerbook competition:
        http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=3400
        http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=pg3

Doing word processing, spreadsheets, etc. on a Newton very much has the
feel (and speed) of doing them on a Mac Plus. Not even the same class.

Sean