[NTLK] Looking for hardware hackers' help

From: Duncan Domingue (duncanbojangles_at_cox-internet.com)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 01:08:15 PDT

Hey group. Though I don't own a Newton anymore, I thought the Newton
community might be able to help me. I'm in need of some of the Newton
hardware hackers' technical expertise when it comes to the Stowaway
keyboard.

As I understand it, the Stowaway keyboard operates differently for
different PDA's, mainly in handshaking signals and flow control. So far
I have seen the keyboards for the Handspring Visor, which is not
compatible with my project due to it using TTL signals, the Palm
keyboard, the iPaq keyboard, and various other including wireless, which
is also unusable for my project.

The signals that I have available in my PDA are Tx, Rx, some sort of
Synchronizing button interface, and ground. There are also two
"reserved" connections which I haven't been able to find information on.
Of the keyboards mentioned, I believe the Palm's to be most suitable to
my endeavour. My question is, is it possible to use the Palm Stowaway
keyboard without flow control? If necessary, I could use the Tx line as
an RTS signal, though that would require some kernel hacking.

Thank you in advance, and links are gladly accepted. :)