Re: [NTLK] SimpleMail hang

From: Thomas A Isenbarger (isen_at_plantpath.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 13:48:08 PDT

On Aug 23, 2004, at 3:36 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> Two things.
>
> 1) You shouldn't be creating new threads by saying "reply to" other
> existing threads, since those of us with threaded mail reader see your
> "new" one pop up in the middle of a thread where it doesn't belong.
> Also this reply I am sending will be in the wrong place.

Yes, I agree. I like to keep my threads in order too, but I turned off
threading because the very problem of which you speak annoyed me too
much. I'll try to help the folks out who do use the threading, though.

> 2) Sometimes Simplemail get "stuck" on a particular message which
> prevents it from completing it's transactions.
>
> Go to a desktop mail client and scan your inbox. See if anything looks
> suspicious. Delete all MS critical patches from your inbox :~) along
> with all the rest of the spam or junk.
> Sometimes you can can figure out from the script you included which
> message it is.

I couldn't figure it out, so I posted it here to see if people more
knowledgable in the ways of Newton could figure it out. I guess I will
have to play around with it a bit. Wouldn't your suggestion only work
for IMAP though? Or an arrangement where messages deleted from my
desktop are then deleted (and not downloaded on to my Newton)? I don't
have it set up this way. I read all my mail on my home, work, and
Newton.

Thanks,
Tom