[NTLK] Microsoft MN-520 successful

From: Martin Howard (mvhoward_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 16:00:24 PDT

Paul emailed me a patched "More WiFi Cards" package and I'm happy to
report that it works successfully with the Microsoft MN-520 WiFi card.
You apparently need the Lantern Patch installed too, since the
identifier for the Microsoft card exceeds the 31 character limitation.
I successfully connected to my Airport Express using Hiroshi's driver,
128-bit WEP, and NCU running in Classic on a TiBook. I was running
AppleTalk over the WiFi connection and exported my Notes to an RTF file
on the TiBook.

I got an error message when installing the More WiFi Cards package, but
I suspect that this might have been because I initially installed it on
an external card, rather than in internal memory. Moving the package
caused the Newton to reset, but once it had restarted again, everything
seemed to work as advertized. Inserting the card correcly identified
it.

It just occurred to me that I had forgot to change my Internet Setup: I
was still using the Lucent IEEE/WaveLAN driver with the Microsoft card.
  I subsequently used Net Hopper with the correct card selected, and can
report that it works fine too.

I suspect that CompUSA's card might get snapped up pretty quickly... at
$11.99 a piece. I bought two: one for use with the Newt and one for
use with the 800CT.

M.