[NTLK] Why is it so hard to find compatible WaveLAN cards

From: Richard Kilpatrick (dmc12_at_btconnect.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 03:01:25 PDT

I finally got around to buying a new card to replace the Sitecom card
that clearly didn't work. Listed on eBay as an Orinoco Standard Gold,
cheap price, and such. I can no longer remember which card is which,
but I thought that Lucent=Orinoco. Lucent Gold with 128-bit is
supported.

This card is an Agere PC24E-11-FC/R. Googling reveals that despite it
being unlabeled on top, it /is/ an Orinoco Standard Gold, should use
the Hermes Chipset, and in theory should be supported I guess. However,
it isn't.

The Newton says it can't recognise the card. The Mac sees the card in
the PC Card slot as a WLAN card (Wireless) but this is greyed out,
presumably because there are no drivers loaded (and I already have
Airport anyway).

*sighs*

Richard

--
Tasty Other - Because Far Too Much in Life Makes Sense
Music for download - coming soon (RIP MP3.com)