Re: [NTLK] Need Information about newtons

From: Greg Mason (applepenguin12_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 16:56:51 PDT

> Check with the IT ninjas on that one. Odds are that the VPN stuff is
> there to dynamically authorize MAC addresses to use the network (no
> password, no access) and suitably-bribed ninjas may be able to add your
> network card to a permenantly-authorized list of MACs.
well, they're more like Great Microsoftian IT Sloths (tm). if it ain't
microsoft or a cisco solution running on top of something
Microsoft-created/owned, they pretty much won't use it. Can you say the
name Dave Cutler? yeah, he's an alum...
no, it's a full-on VPN. If you don't get through the VPN concentrator,
that's it. The only port open on the wireless network is port 10000, to
authenticate and connect to the VPN concentrator. I know, it sucks.
What they strived for (and pretty much achieved) is a completely secure
wireless network. nobody can really sniff anybody else's traffic, etc.
I've tried translating the settings to other VPN clients, but it didn't
work. And I doubt the 160 Mhz StrongARM chip can handle a (i do
believe) 168-bit encrypted connection.

> Greg will, however, be able to set up multiple worksites, with
> different
> 802.11b setups, and switch between them easily. Worksite entries are a
> majorly excellent thing in my book.
kinna like locations in OS X?

-Greg