Re: [NTLK] is the Assist function useful?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 22:19:40 PDT

On Aug 27, 2004, at 8:49 PM, LAG wrote:

> google is a wonderful tool that is very underused by the newbies that
> have joined our list. it seems that everyone wants the answers to be
> handed to them without trying to find out for themselves

I think you were a bit harsh on the guy, man! He was asking about
specific ways of using the Assist! The Assist feature is a bit obscure
to many new users, being unknown on any other device available today,
and it is much under-utilized by your average user. I think it was a
valid question, and one that could have spurred much discussion on how
to get more out of Assist. For instance, nobody has yet mentioned Hardy
Macia's extensions to the Assist, and there used to be others.

For instance, check out Hardy's page here:
<http://www.catamount.com/NewtonApps/ProductsNOS20.html>

You will find several ways that Hardy expanded on the Assist function.
He was very fond of it. Unfortunately, his stuff is still for sale, but
it's still cool. However, as I said, most of this stuff is rather
obscure, and if one doesn't know where to start looking, it may be
difficult. Another example is some Japanese work that was done.
Unfortunately, I do not remember exactly what it was, nor can I find it
with Google. But in any case, there used to be a lot of goodies for use
with Assist. I hope somebody can add more to this discussion...

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland