Re: [NTLK] [POLL] What's Your favorite Newton?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 23:53:55 PDT

On Aug 27, 2004, at 2:36 AM, Steele Campbell wrote:

>> Simple sketch possibilities?
>
> All of 'em

However, does NOS 2.x have better sketch capabilities? It's been so
long now, that I can't remember what kind of sketching capabilities NOS
1.x has. Doesn't it have only shapes? I don't remember it having free
hand drawing and it doesn't have ink-to-text either. I suspect that NOS
2.x is better for sketching and drawing...

>> Uncomplicated and robust import/export/backup to/from
> stationary macs? Other pros and cons?
>
> OMP->120 (with OS 1.3) only have backup whereas 120 (2.0) to 2100 have
> a much more robust desktop client.

On this, I beg to differ! I surely am not the only one who misses the
NCK of NOS 1.x? I always thought that NCU was a step backwards. Why
can't NCU browse your backup soups on the computer like NCK could? And
NCU's syncing was severely limited in what programs it could export to.
And export never worked well for me either. I was forced to use Now
Sync to get my contact information out of my Newt. I really did prefer
the old way to the new one. I also think that it was NCU that is
partially responsible for killing the Newt. Apple never was able to
create a reliable, flexible and fast way to get information off the
Newton onto the desktop.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland