Re: [NTLK] [POLL] What's Your favorite Newton?

From: Josef Chessor (josefcub_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 28 2004 - 13:47:41 PDT

> >OMP->120 (with OS 1.3) only have backup whereas 120 (2.0) to 2100 have
> >a much more robust desktop client.
>
> That complicates things. I had almost decided to look for a really early
> model (OMP or MP100) but I need import and export. Can you beam info to a
> MP2000?

You can beam information between an OMP/1x0 device and an MP2x00 device easily.

My concern is that there is "only backup" for the OMP to the 120/1.3.
This is actually incorrect. I run Newton Connection Kit 2.0 (versus
Newton Connection Utilities 1.0) for my OMP, and it backs up,
restores, and imports/exports information just fine. Heck, NCK will
even let you view/edit the data on the Mac or PC, whereas NCU will
not. NCK is to the OS1.x machines what NCU is to the MP2x00 and
eMate.

As for Mac/PC compatibility between NCK and the OS version, I run NCK2
on MacOS 9.2.2 (Classic MacOS, with the OldWorld 3rd-party
"adjustments" to let me run it on an upgraded 8500) without a single
problem. On Windows, I know that NCK2 ran well on Windows 95 and 98,
but likely suffers the same problems that NCU does under Windows
2000/XP.

For the record, NCK and NCU are both available on UNNA (www.unna.org).

My $0.02,
Josef