Re: [NTLK] MP !20 - How to update

From: Yeoleman74_at_aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 11:43:08 PDT

THANKS DAN:
I Purched a Connection Kit, unfotunately DIsk 1 was corrupted. Will do a
download.
CHEERS
Waren
In a message dated 8/29/04 1:33:47 PM, dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com writes:

<<
> I have been lurking for some time now and am impressed with all the willing
> help given by the regulars. AS A Mac collector (25+ computers) I recently
> acquired an emate300 a MP 110 and a 120.
>
> I have the MP 120 upgrade software on my Mac but am unable to transfer it
> my MP 120 .
>
> My emate connects to my MAC and downloads/uploads with no problems. On the
> othe hand the MP 120 starts to Backup as soon as a connection is made. I
> understand this has to do with the early software. What is the work around
to load
> the software upgrade?

Ok first question, what do you mean by "upgrade"? There were several OS
patches that Apple released. But if you are looking to upgrade the OS
to 2.0 that is not possible without changing ROM chips (which is almost
impossible to find now). As for the backup issue, check to make sure
there is not a emergency package installed that is doing to autobackup
as soon as the connection is made. Also if you do have 1.3 OS, then you
want to use Newton Connection Kit, rather that Newton Connection
Utilities. NCK was for the 1.3 OS and earlier (it is available for
download on UNNA http://www.unna.org).

My bet is you have OS 1.3 which looks different than 2.0 in the extras
drawer. If you open the extras drawer for your 110 and 120 and they
look the same. Then it sounds like you have 1.3 OS. And if you do have
1.3 and you have the correct patch you want to install for that OS
version, use NCK to install it.

-Dan>>