Re: [NTLK] Fw: ATA Support Issues

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 08:32:27 PDT

Aux environs du 29/08/04 à 19:56 +0200, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK] Fw:
ATA Support Issues", j g prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire les
mots suivants:
>If one could use 2G or 4G CF and fill it up with .. pkgs what will
>happen with heap? How fast will it work?

It would be slow unless you froze the packages.

Packages slow down things in several ways:
- they are active and may suck the CPU and do things
- they use heap because they are active (although some packages use
less than 512 bytes since they only use the information that they're
active)
- they are used within virtual memory.

In fact, I even think that the virtual memory space for packages is
not big enough for 2 GB of packages. I mean, I'm sure of it.

Paul

--
Ceci est une signature banale.
http://www.kallisys.com/