[NTLK] OSX - usb keyboard Escale

From: Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail (izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 17:43:48 PDT

Now that I have a Keyspan to my avail I did some initial testing.

I am posting this especially because someone on the list asked about
newton and mac keyboards.

Here is my setup
en emac and of course a usb apple keyboard.

What I did, I just installed the software drivers for the Keyspan
USA28X (the exact model number of my keyspan) on my 10.3.5 Panther Mac.

I plugged the Newton 2100 to the keyspan which in turn is connected to
the USB port on my mac.

In this example I am using Escale version 1.0 (v1.0.1 (20030503)) which
is Copyright 2000-2003 Paul Guyot & Contributors, thought I would plug
the developers who are so important to us all.

I fired up Escale on the mac and the Dock from the Newton

 From the Newton I ask it to connect using a serial connection.

While connected I click the keyboard icon in the dock and can now open
notes and start typing a note.

OK all works but very slowly.

If I may, I would like to take this opportunity to mention a few things
about Escale, although I have not finished reading the Escale User's
Guide, it does frequently crash intermittently almost at any stage of
use and in terms of the keyboard input for the Newton it is painfully
slow.

This app shows a lot of promise even after 20 minutes of use. The
interface is very nice and simple but I hope it becomes more robust in
the future. Thanks for developing it and I hope furthering the
development of this very promising app continues. As you may have
guessed I still have the entire guide to read, for now let this be a
teaser and a note on Escale's usability.

Alex