Re: [NTLK] Best Web Browser for Newton?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 00:56:09 PST

On Dec 6, 2004, at 11:21 PM, Bryce wrote:

>> In fact, I find web browsing on the Newton to be so unsatisfactory,
>> that I don't do it at all...
>
> Whoa! I hope I don't feel that way! My Newton is on its way back to
> MacsRUs for swap-out and should get here within a number of weeks. I
> have yet to power on one but I intend to use its web browsing options.
>
> What's unsatisfactory?

It's very slow and doesn't render many modern web pages well...

I use Newtscape and Courier, and both are excellent and very unique.
Quite different from regular ol' web browsers, so be prepared for a
learning curve.

Nethopper tries to be a regular looking browser, but doesn't work so
sell IME.

Newtscape allows for automatic pre loading of content, so you can set
your newt up to connect and download a bunch of web sites and then when
you get up and grab it, they are there...

Newton can be very useful as a web browser, but I would never use it
for this function if a desktop computer is available...

Marty