Re: [NTLK] a question about file transfer

From: Matthew Reidsma (reidsma_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 17:40:22 PST

paul oberman wrote:
> if i eventually want to put mp3's on the newton, it has been said that
> the process of transfer can be lenghty. has anyone tried more creative
> ways to get data over. ie: wireless lan, or uploading to a server and
> downloading over a high speed connection.

Yes, I found this to be the most effective means of getting my mp3 data
to the Newton. I used Eckhart's Fetch URL transport, and with MadNewton
installed, it should know to put the mp3 files away from the inbox into
the appropriate soup.

It was still a bit slow, (slower than downloading via a high speed
connection to my laptop, which usually takes about 5-10 seconds for a
3-4Mb file) but it was much better than the hour long serial transfers.

Wired ethernet worked as well, IIRC. I usually just used Wifi, however.

Best of luck...

Matthew Reidsma
Boston, MA U.S.A.